Friday 7 May 2010

Sewing a sticker book cover


My son brings home stickers from school as rewards. Sometimes they don't even make it all the way home and they are lost before Dad gets to see them. The solution is a sticker book where we can stick them in straight away and then write down what he got them for. A nice book to look back on when confidence is a bit low and to boost his self esteem.

Since we made this book, Big Seed has valued his stickers more and likes to stick them in his book straight away and show them to all his family!
Good to see an idea working!

This is an idea inspired by CHILDHOOD MAGIC: Sunday Stitches


Take some cotton fabric which will be easy to sew. Anything plain will do. Cut it to the size of the book. I used a plain very cheap exercise book. Cut 1 and 1/2 " hem allowance.

Fold it in half. On the back draw in pencil around your child's hand or any other design you choose.


Open it up and put an embroidery hoop around the middle of the front of the book cover. I have never used one before, they are very cheap and easy to use.

I bought some multi-coloured wool from my local craft shop.


Big Seed used a huge needle. I think it's either an upholstery or carpet needle as it has a bent tip. This is about 2 and 1/2 " long so good for his little hands to grip. He had free reign to put the needle in and out of where he fancied as it's his first time at sewing, as I held the hoop and made sure he didn't poke his eye out!

I sewed backstitch around the template of his hand.


Sew the corners up inside the cover with a regular needle and thread.




1 comment:

  1. I love this! so clever to do a notebook cover! Very, very cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...